Sunday, August 23, 2015

New Patterns and Sew-Alongs?

If you are still somewhat new to sewing, or even if you're an old pro, you might have looked through the pattern bins at your local craft/fabric store a time or two. Or forty. Just saying, there's some cute patterns I've been having my eye on. In any case, I've decided that since I don't have a ton of time to make my own patterns anymore (and there may or may not be a 99 cent sale on Simplicity patterns this week at my local fabric store), I'm going to get a few patterns together and do some sew-alongs.

Just a few of the ones I picked up this week!
I can still give good tips on construction and techniques this way, and you might even find a pattern you like and can see how it really turns out. I'll be upfront about any tweaks I make to the patterns, as well, since it wouldn't be a fair representation of the final product otherwise. Also, as far as sizing goes, I've realized that it ranges from company to company. One size in Simplicity patterns may not be the same as your size in Vogue. So there goes my blog name...

So, what patterns might be showing up on the blog soon as sew-alongs? Follow along...

Simplicity 1694
I love the floaty look of Simplicity's 1694 blouse pattern. Great for everything from light cottons to sheer fabrics. I'm not sure why the views are all alphabetically out of order, but as long as the pattern pieces match I'll be happy. I think I'll probably try view A first, but I definitely like the sleeveless variations, too.

Simplicity 1779
Simplicity 1779 seems like a great work blouse to me. Not super uptight like a collared shirt might be, but something cute and fun for casual Fridays. I'm looking forward to this one a great deal, even though I normally don't like big bows or neck details. This one is just low-key enough.

Burda 6849
Speaking of collared shirts, Burda 6849 just looked like a good simple shirt! So it was one of the patterns I splurged a little on (for someone who rarely buys patterns, anything over $5 is a splurge). I've been wanting to get a plain dress shirt for work, anyway, and the fabric store in question had a $1.99 /yd sale on plain cottons so it felt like it was meant to be. I can't wait to try out this pattern, as it's one of the more complicated ones I've attempted, as far as store-bought patterns go.

Simplicity 4192
Yes, summer is almost coming to an end, but that just means there's one last spurt of weekend get-aways and trips to the pool, or lake, or beach (whichever you prefer). I really bought Simplicity 4192 for the pants (view D), but I might give the other pieces a go, too. I've actually gone ahead and bought fabric for the pants, as well, so I'll be posting that sew-along fairly soon, I think.

Simplicity 2369
I'm not sure if Simplicity 2369 was supposed to be geared toward the work environment or not, but those pants and that top look like great lounge-wear to me! Just pretty enough to feel good about going outside, but comfy enough to sit on the couch and watch Netflix for the afternoon, too. Mmm, now if only I had a free afternoon to just catch up on my Netflix list...

Simplicity 1467
Simplicity 1467 was definitely meant for work, and I think it's a very cute combo (not to mention for $0.99 I really ought to have some dressy patterns, too). The only business blazers I have are all black, so maybe I can make a cute coordinating outfit like this one. I like the idea of a new silk blouse, too, because my business attire right now is a little bleak. Granted, I don't have a fancy business career, but still, it's good to have a few pieces, right?

Simplicity 1652
My closet is decidedly low on dresses at the moment (summer or otherwise), so this was one of three dress patterns I picked up on my little excursion. I like the princess seams and back details of Simplicity 1652, and I'm honestly curious about this whole "Amazing Fit" line that Simplicity has been putting out, so I'm looking forward to giving this pattern a try. Now, what fabric to use... that'll be the tricky part. Maybe I could even make a cute fall or winter dress if I use a heavier fabric and pair it with leggings and a longsleeve...

Simplicity 1586
Another one of Simplicity's "Amazing Fit" series, Simplicity 1586 called out to me with beckoning bold colors. Very in fashion right now, although I'll be the first to admit I don't have the first clue about fashion. It's a simple enough dress for even the most basic beginners in sewing, I think, and it looks cute to boot. Good enough for me to give it a try!

Simplicity 1537
My final dress pattern that I picked up, Simplicity 1537, is about as simple as a dress can get. However, with the dropped waist and sleeve variations, it's a classic look that you can dress up or down, depending on the fabrics and accessories you use. I haven't decided when I'll be making this, or what kind of fabric I'll be using, but it looks like fun to me!

New Look 6289
New Look 6289 was another impulse buy (since I was only planning on getting Simplicity patterns because of the sale), but I really liked the wide-legged pants in view B. That tied waist band is super cute, and the elastic means no zippers! A simple pattern for super comfortable pants for summer. Something I definitely want more of.

Simplicity 1069
Simplicity 1069 is very similar to the New Look pattern above, in terms of the pants, but it sports an invisible zipper in the back and therefore a more fitted waist. Also, I adored the shorts and that skirt looks really pretty, too. So a good overall pattern with just a tad more complexity than the New Look pattern.

Simplicity 1464
Those wide-legged pants sure are popular right now, aren't they? I really liked the pleats of Simplicity 1464, and those shorts and skirts are super cute. I don't have a pretty pleated skirt in my closet yet, so maybe that's what I'll make first with this pattern. We shall see.

Well that's it for the 99 cent sale haul! I'm really looking forward to sharing my experiences with each of these patterns with you, and making some fantastic new pieces for my wardrobe! If there's anything particular you'd like to see from this list, leave a comment below and I'll try to find a cool fabric and make the request. Who knows, maybe you've found some good ideas for sewing projects from this as well!


Happy Sewing,
Lea

No comments:

Post a Comment