Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Sneak Peak!

As you may have noticed, it's taken longer than usual for my posts this week... well, I promise there's a reason!


Hmmm, what is this, you say? It's one of the most wonderfully soft, woven fabrics I've worked with in a long time. I picked it up ages ago at Joann's (always use those coupons!). No, I did not have a project in mind when I bought it. I was just walking around feeling fabrics and admiring patterns after having put the fabrics I needed in my cart (doesn't everyone?) and this one leaped off the shelf into my cart. Well, that's what I tell DH. I couldn't resist, and I still had one unused coupon.

So, this week I've been taking out my lovely impulse fabric and draping it around my dress form, trying to think of what it should become. 
There was enough material for a dress, but no, I don't really need another summer dress right now. Shorts? I don't have too many of those yet, and this pattern would be so much fun! But I don't have anything that would really complete that outfit in a satisfying way. So, a top. A nice, floaty summer top.

Confession time. I've tried to make a floaty summer top once before. It did not turn out as well-fitting as I'd hoped. Translation: realize that slinky fabric will fit even tighter if you cut the pattern pieces on the bias. So, for this new top, I was scrapping my old prototype pattern. Starting from scratch! Which... means my posting has been behind. Sorry!

I'll give you one more sneak peak at what's coming up soon, though. This is the yoke pattern I've been working on for the top:


That little loop inside the back yoke would be a heart cut-out. Which I may or may not use... still a bit on the fence. Maybe a really cute reverse applique opportunity? Anyway, this is what I've got for now, once I've finished sewing the top, I'll put together the how-to. I hope you'll come back to see it!

Happy Sewing, 
Lea

No comments:

Post a Comment